Summermere Landlord FAQs

Why choose Summermere?

The benefits to a Landlord: 

  • Member of The Property Ombudsman for Lettings
  • Member of The Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) of which a membership requirement is to have a separate client money account. We are the only local RICS letting specialists in the local area. 
  • Member of The UK Association of Residential Letting Agents (ARLA)
  • Registered Safe Agent
  • No Let No Fee policy
  • Residential Letting Specialists with an expert team
  • Honest appraisal of expected monthly rental income
  • Fully managed packages available for total peace of mind
  • Rent Guarantee Cover available
  • Fully referenced tenants
  • We provide an outstanding and specialist service at very competitive rates
  • Regular updates on your property
  • Eye catching To Let board erected at your property


Letting your property is a complex process, with numerous regulations and statutory legislation dictating your every move. It is vital that you feel confident that your property is being handled by a team of experts. Summermere are specialists in this field and will guide and support you every step of the way.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get my property onto the market with Summermere?

Letting your property is a complex process, with numerous regulations and statutory legislation dictating your every move. It is vital that you feel confident that your property is being handled by a team of experts. Summermere are specialists in this field and will guide and support you every step of the way.

Just call Summermere and one of our experts will arrange to meet with you at your property to discuss the rental value along with our terms and conditions.

How will you advertise my property?

All of our properties are advertised on Right Move and on the Summermere website. Additionally, our brand is very eye-catching and a prominent ‘To Let’ board is erected at every property to ensure you have local coverage. We will send out property details to all of our waiting Tenants and to anybody else who contacts us via our website and we maintain our database meticulously and use that for additional e-marketing campaigns.

How does it work when someone wants to view my property?

All requests for viewings come through to us. We have a dedicated team of viewers available 7 days a week to accompany prospective tenants. Once a viewing has been conducted, we will obtain feedback and relay this to you for discussion.

Who deals with the rental application process?

All of our prospective tenants are vetted before viewing the property, and then we carry out full credit and reference checks as part of the application process, meaning you can make a much more informed decision as to whether you should agree the tenancy with them.

What is the process once we accept a tenant application?

Once you accept a tenant application we will sort out the Tenancy Agreement and paperwork. We will closely manage the rental through to the tenant moving in, making sure all parties are working to your timescales. Prior to the tenant moving into the property, we collect the first month’s rent together with a deposit, which we register and retain under the Tenancy Deposit Scheme, your let is now complete!

Managed let tenancies

Initially the Assured Shorthold Tenancy would run for a minimum period of six months. If you require possession of the property at the end of the fixed term, we would be required to serve two months’ notice to the tenant, on the fourth month of the initial fixed term. If you are happy to renew the tenancy for another fixed term, we will negotiate new terms with the tenants and draw up new documents.

Another option is to renew on a Statutory Periodic Basis, i.e. month by month, however this doesn’t provide you with as much security. Our experts will discuss all of this with you at the point of renewal and alley any fears or concerns.

How is the rent collected from the tenant and paid to the landlord?

We arrange at the outset for the tenants to pay the monthly rent, by standing order into our client account. As soon as the rent clears the account, the monies are paid over to you in the form of a BACS payment, less our fees and repairs, if applicable. We produce a statement detailing income and expenditure which will then be emailed to you.

What is the process if the tenant does not pay the rent?

If the tenant’s arrears increase then we will liaise with you before issuing or acting on the relevant notice. Unfortunately this process can take a long time so this is another factor that contributes to our desire to find the perfect tenant for your property.

On a managed let, we generate a weekly report which identifies any rents outstanding. In the first instance, we would contact the tenants by phone and discuss the matter with them, this is usually all that is required. We endeavour to ensure that lines of communication are good between us and the tenants. It’s so important that they feel they can approach us, if they have an issue and are experiencing any difficulties. It enables us to act quickly and set out a payment plan. We would also make arrangements to visit the property to discuss any issues with the tenants. At all times, during this process, we would keep you updated.

We offer a rent and legal protection, which covers you for loss of rent and legal costs in the event that you are forced to evict the tenants through the courts. We rarely find this an issue as we inspect the properties regularly and have an ongoing relationship with the tenants. Our team of experts can advise you further on this.


Regular Inspections are carried out at all tenanted properties and these serve a number of purposes. Firstly, they allow us to see how the tenant is looking after your property. We check for any signs of required maintenance at the property – if something needs attention, we inform you quickly, helping reduce the risk of a problem getting worse, and the cost escalating. These visits also help us to get to know the tenants better, so that when a tenancy is due for renewal, we can be assured in the advice we give you.

Who carries out any repairs or maintenance?

If you have chosen the fully managed option, we would liaise with tenants and local approved contractors to arrange the repairs and then the cost would be deducted from your monthly account. We do not arrange for any large scale repairs to be carried out, without seeking prior approval from our landlords.

If you have chosen the Let Only option, the tenant would make direct contact with you as the landlord and it would be your responsibility to arrange for any repairs to be carried out at your own expense.

End of tenancy on a managed let

When a tenancy comes to an end, our inventory clerk will make arrangements to visit the property once the tenants have vacated, in order to conduct a comprehensive video check out report - which will be compared to the move in video, in order to identify damage, where applicable. Meter readings will be obtained and we will write to the utility companies, providing them with the tenant’s details, to enable them to produce a closing statement for the tenant. Once we are satisfied that everything is in order, the deposit is refunded to the tenant. If you wish, you can inspect the property before the tenants’ deposit is returned. However, we are required, by law, to notify the tenants of any potential deductions to the deposit, ten days after the termination of the tenancy. This applies to a managed let.

The tenants’ deposit will be held in a secure deposit scheme and the cost of any agreed repair work to be carried out will be deducted from the tenants’ deposit before it is returned to them
Deposits are held in order to ensure that tenants look after a property and they are a safeguard against unpaid rent. A deposit is refundable at the end of the tenancy, but only after the tenant has vacated the property and it has been inspected and the inventory has been confirmed. Under the housing Act 2004 (effective 6 April 2007), it is now a legal requirement that a tenant’s deposit be protected. We protect deposits through Tenancy Deposit Solutions Limited, details of this can be found on their website at There is a nominal charge for protecting the deposit, but we can also forward the deposit to a landlord for protecting, upon receipt of written confirmation that the landlord is a member of a recognised deposit protection scheme.


Our management agreement only covers the period where the property is let. For an additional nominal charge, we will manage the property when vacant. Although, obviously, it is in our interest to have the property let at all times.

If there is any other information you require, please contact us – we are here to help!

Landlord’s legal obligations and requirements

Gas Safety 

All gas appliances are required to be inspected on an annual basis; this is a legal requirement. The safety of tenants is critical and a safety certificate for each appliance must be issued every twelve months and is retained on our file. The person conducting the inspection must be Gas Safe registered.

Electrical Installation

Landlords are required to ensure that all electrical installations are safe and maintained. There are laws and regulations, which define a supplier of electrical equipment intended for domestic use. Again, a safety record should be provided by an electrician who is conversant with appropriate safety standards. All electric appliances should be checked and instruction booklets should be left in the property.

Smoke Detectors

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 was approved by parliament and came into force on the 1st October 2015. Private sector landlords, will be required, from the 1st October 2015 to ensure that at least one smoke alarm is installed on every storey of their rented property and that a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance. The detectors must be installed, prior to the commencement of a Tenancy. There is a clause incorporated within the Tenancy Agreement that states a tenant should then take responsibility for their own safety by testing all alarms, regularly after that. 

The Deregulation Bill

This came into force on the 1st October 2015 has resulted in significant changes in the way landlords are permitted to evict tenants. If a landlord fails to comply with deposit laws, mishandle the serving of a section 21 notice, failure to provide a copy of the Energy Performance Certificate, or there be allegations of disrepair, then the right to evict the tenant will be removed. It is vital that all of the above are handled professionally by us and we shall guide you through the process.

Legionella Risk Assessment

Legionnaires Disease is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia caused by the inhalation of small droplets of contaminated water containing Legionella. The law is clear that if you are a landlord and rent out a property then you have legal responsibilities to ensure the health and safety of your tenant by keeping the property safe and free from health hazards. Section 3 (2) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 (HSWA) makes provision for relevant health and safety legislation to apply to landlords to ensure a duty of care is shown to their tenants. We can advise you further on this matter and can also recommend a Legionella Risk Assessor to you, to ensure that the appropriate checks are carried out prior to the commencement of the tenancy, which we will then monitor throughout the duration of the tenancy. 

Energy Performance Certification (EPC)

Became a legal requirement in October 2008 for any properties being build sold or rented. The Government have recently revisited the requirements for the ratings on the EPC’s and we can advise you that there are new regulations coming into force on the 1st April 2018 in the form of the Energy Act 2018. By 2018 all properties’ will need to adhere to a minimum energy efficient standards of an E rating.


As a landlord, you are responsible for your property and, therefore, the buildings insurance. This insurance covers the fixtures and fittings, but does not cover the repair or replacement of carpets and sundry contents. Therefore, if the property is furnished or part furnished, you need to arrange contents insurance. The insurance of personal contents is the responsibility of the tenant.

Mortgage and Mortgagee’s Permission

If your property is subject to a mortgage, then your lender should be informed that you intend letting it. Before a tenant takes possession, permission must be obtained from your lender – this should not be ignored. 


Income received from renting your property is subject to Income Tax and we strongly recommend that you take advice from your accountant with respect to this. Certain expenses incurred can be set against income and we can provide you with more information should you require. Overseas landlords are taxed, unless they hold an exemption certificate.

As your managing agent, we become liable for any tax liability on your rental income, unless we are in receipt of an exemption certificate. You can download the NRL1 form from the HMRC website and then you will need to submit this to the Inland Revenue. You will be asked for an HMRC ref number, that we will provide.

Need to get in touch?
Call us on
0161 798 6633
Stay one step ahead!
Get the latest property alerts